|Title:|| 15-ALKYL PROSTAGLANDINS F .sub..alpha.|
|Abstract:||Prostaglandin E.sub.1 -type and F.sub.1 -type compounds with a methyl or an ethyl substituent at the C-15 position are disclosed. These are useful for the same pharmacological purposes as the unsubstituted prostaglandins.|
|Inventor(s):|| Pike; John E. (Kalamazoo, MI), Schneider; William P. (Kalamazoo Township, Kalamazoo County, MI) |
|Assignee:|| The Upjohn Company (Kalamazoo, MI) |
|Filing Date:||Sep 13, 1972|
|Claims:||1. An optically active compound of the formula: ##SPC14## |
or a racemic compound of that formula and the mirror image thereof, wherein R.sub.1 is hydrogen, alkyl of one to 8 carbon atoms, inclusive, or a pharmacologically acceptable cation, and wherein R.sub.2 is methyl or ethyl.
2. An optically active compound according to claim 1.
3. 15-Methyl-PGF.sub.1.sub..alpha., an optically active compound according to claim 2 wherein R.sub.1 is hydrogen and R.sub.2 is methyl.
4. 15-Methyl-PGF.sub.1.sub..alpha. methyl ester, an optically active compound according to claim 2 wherein R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 are both methyl.
5. Racemic 15-methyl-PGF.sub.1.sub..alpha., a racemic compound according to claim 1 wherein R.sub.1 is hydrogen and R.sub.2 is methyl.
6. Racemic 15-methyl-PGF.sub.1.sub..alpha. methyl ester, a racemic compound according to claim 1 wherein R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 are both methyl.