DrugPatentWatch Database PreviewSee Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 9,604,009
|Title:||Drive mechanisms suitable for use in drug delivery devices|
|Abstract:||A drive mechanism suitable for use in drug delivery devices is disclosed. The drive mechanism may be used with injector-type drug delivery devices, such as those permitting a user to set the delivery dose. The drive mechanism may include a housing, a dose dial sleeve, and a drive sleeve. A clutch is configured to permit rotation of the drive sleeve and the dose dial sleeve with respect to the housing when the dose dial sleeve and drive sleeve are coupled through the clutch. Conversely, when the dose dial sleeve and drive sleeve are in a de-coupled state, rotation of the dose dial sleeve with respect to the housing is permitted and rotation of the drive sleeve with respect to the housing is prevented. In the de-coupled state, axial movement of the drive sleeve transfers force in a longitudinal direction for actuation of a drug delivery device.|
|Inventor(s):||Veasey; Robert Frederick (Warwickshire, GB), Perkins; Robert (Warwickshire, GB), Plumptre; David Aubrey (Worcestershire, GB)|
|Assignee:||Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH (Frankfurt am Main, DE)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 9,604,009|
1. A drive mechanism for use in a drug delivery device comprising: a housing; a dose dial sleeve having a first end, a second end, and an outer surface, where the
outer surface has a helical thread engaged with the housing, and the second end has an inwardly directed flange; a dose dial grip connected and rotationally fixed to the second end through connection with the inwardly directed flange; a drive sleeve
releasably connected to the dose dial sleeve; a piston rod engaged with the drive sleeve; and a clutch located between the dose dial sleeve and the drive sleeve.
2. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the inwardly directed flange comprises a plurality of radially extending members connecting to the dose dial grip.
3. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the outer surface of the dose dial sleeve contains a visual indication of a set dose of medicament.
4. The drive mechanism of claim 3 where the visual indication is a set of dose reference numerals that are visible through a window located in the housing.
5. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the dose dial grip comprises an annular recess at a second end that is configured to accept a skirt of a dose button.
6. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the dose dial grip has an outer diameter that corresponds to an outer diameter of the housing.
7. The drive mechanism of claim 1 further comprising a clicker located between the drive sleeve and the dose dial sleeve.
8. The drive mechanism of claim 7 where the clicker further comprises a sleeve having a helically extending arm, where a free end of the arm has a toothed member.
9. The drive mechanism of claim 8 where the free end of the arm is configured to deform and drag the tooth member over splines to produce an audible click sound.
10. The drive mechanism of claim 9 where the splines are disposed such that each audible click sound corresponds to a conventional unit dose of medicament.
11. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the piston rod has a non-circular portion.
12. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the piston rod has a second end comprising a series of part threads.
13. The drive mechanism of claim 1 further comprising an anti-rotation mechanism to prevent rotation of the piston rod during dose setting.
14. The drive mechanism of claim 1 where the anti-rotation mechanism comprises a piston rod having a first thread of one hand and a second thread having an opposite hand of the hand of the first thread.
15. The drive mechanism of claim 1, wherein the piston rod is threadedly engaged with the drive sleeve.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.