Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Microbiologically sound and stable solutions of gamma-hydroxybutyrate salt for the treatment of narcolepsy|
|Abstract:||Disclosed are formulations of gamma-hydroxybutyrate in an aqueous medium that are resistant to microbial growth. Also disclosed are formulations of gammahydroxybutyrate that are also resistant to the conversion into GBL. Disclosed are methods to treat sleep disorders, including narcolepsy, with these stable formulations of GHB. The present invention also provides methods to treat alcohol and opiate withdrawal, reduced levels of growth hormone, increased intracranial pressure, and physical pain in a patient.|
|Inventor(s):||Cook; Harry (Eden Prairie, MN), Hamilton; Martha (St. Paul, MN), Danielson; Douglas (Otsego, MI), Goderstad; Colette (St. Paul, MN), Reardan; Dayton T. (Shorewood, MN)|
|Assignee:||Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Palo Alto, CA)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition, comprising an aqueous solution of about 500 mg/ml sodium gamma-hydroxybutyrate, wherein the composition has a pH of about 7.3 to about
8.5, wherein the composition is chemically stable and resistant to microbial growth, and wherein the composition is free of preservatives.
2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition has a pH of about 7.5.
3. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition has a pH of about 8.0.
4. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition has a pH of about 8.5.
5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition additionally comprises a pH adjusting or buffering agent.
6. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 5, wherein the pH adjusting or buffering agent is an acid.
7. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 6, wherein the acid is an inorganic acid.
8. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 6, wherein the acid is an organic acid.
9. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 6, wherein the acid is selected from the group consisting of malic acid, citric acid, acetic acid, boric acid, lactic acid, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid, and nitric acid.
10. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 6, wherein the acid is malic acid.
11. A method of treating cataplexy or daytime sleepiness in a patient having narcolepsy comprising diluting the pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, and administering to the patient the diluted pharmaceutical composition.
12. The method of claim 11, wherein the pharmaceutical composition is administered orally.
13. The method of claim 12, wherein the pharmaceutical composition is administered orally as two consecutive single doses daily.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein the first dose is administered prior to bedtime and the second dose is administered from about 2.5 to about 4.0 hours after administration of the first dose.
15. A set comprising the pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 in one or more container means.
16. The set of claim 15, wherein the one or more container means are selected from the group consisting of a drinking cup, a dosing cup, a syringe, a pipette, a vial, an ampule, a test tube, a flask, a bottle, and a pouch syringe.
17. The set of claim 15, comprising a third container means capable of retaining a first container means, a second container means, and one or more delivery vehicles capable of administering the pharmaceutical composition to the patient.
18. The set of claim 17, wherein the first container means comprises the pharmaceutical composition, and the second container means comprises a diluent.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.