Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Sustained-release preparations of quinolone antibiotics and method for preparation thereof|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to an orally administrable preparation comprising a quinolone antibiotic which releases the active compound with a delay.|
|Inventor(s):||Kanikanti; Venkata-Rangarao (Leverkusen, DE), Rupp; Roland (Bergisch Gladbach, DE), Weber; Wolfgang (Koln, DE), Deuringer; Peter (Koln, DE), Henck; Jan-Olav (Willich, DE), Sta.beta.; Heino (Koln, DE), Nishioka; Takaaki (Nabari, JP), Katakawa; Yoshifumi (Kusatsu, JP), Taniguchi; Chika (Nishinomiya, JP), Ichihashi; Hitoshi (Suita, JP)|
|Assignee:||Bayer Schering Pharma AG (Leverkussen, DE)|
1. Orally administrable preparation comprising ciprofloxacin as an active compound, characterized in that it contains a mixture of a) gel-forming polymer which is a
cellulose ether of a viscosity of 5 to 400 cP, measured as 2% polymer concentration by weight aqueous solution at 20.degree. C., and b) a mixture of a salt with the free base of ciprofloxacin at a salt-to-free base weight ratio of from about 1.3:1 to
about 1.8:1; wherein the preparation releases 80% of the active compound both in 0.1 N hydrochloric acid and in acetate buffer at pH 4.5 in the USP XXIV paddle test at 50 revolutions per minute / 37.degree. C. in the course of 1 to 4 hours.
2. The preparation according to claim 1, characterized in that the salt and the free base are ciprofloxacin hydrochloride and ciprofloxacin betaine, respectively.
3. The preparation according to claim 1, characterized in that the gel-forming polymer is hydroxypropylmethylcellulose of a viscosity of at most 75 cP, measured as a 2% polymer concentration by weight aqueous solution at 20.degree. C.
4. The preparation according to claim 3, characterized in that the hydroxypropylmethylcellulose has a viscosity of at most 50 cP, measured as a 2% polymer concentration by weight aqueous solution at 20.degree. C.
5. The preparation according to claim 3, characterized in that it contains 2 to 20 parts by weight of active compound mixture per part by weight of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.
6. The preparation according to claim 1, wherein the gel-forming polymer is selected from the group consisting of alkylcellulose, hydroxyalkylcellulose, carboxyalkylcellulose, alkali metal salts of carboxyalkylcellulose, and crossliniked carboxymethylcellulose.
7. The preparation according to claim 6, wherein the gel-forming polymer is a hydroxyalkylcellulose.
8. The preparation according to claim 1, further comprising an organic acid having from 2 to 10 carbon atoms and from 1 to 4 carboxyl groups.
9. The preparation according to claim 8 wherein the organic acid is succinic acid.
10. The preparation according to claim 1, characterized in that the preparation is a combination preparation comprising a rapid-release (IR) part and a delayed release (CR) part.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.