DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,582,621
|Title:||Boron-containing small molecules|
|Abstract:||This invention relates to compounds useful for treating fungal infections, more specifically topical treatment of onychomycosis and/or cutaneous fungal infections. This invention is directed to compounds that are active against fungi and have properties that allow the compound, when placed in contact with a patient, to reach the particular part of the skin, nail, hair, claw or hoof infected by the fungus. In particular the present compounds have physiochemical properties that facilitate penetration of the nail plate.|
|Inventor(s):||Baker; Stephen J. (Mountain View, CA), Akama; Tsutomu (Sunnyvale, CA), Bellinger-Kawahara; Carolyn (Redwood City, CA), Hernandez; Vincent S. (Watsonville, CA), Hold; Karin M. (Belmont, CA), Leyden; James J. (Malvern, PA), Maples; Kirk R. (San Jose, CA), Plattner; Jacob J. (Berkeley, CA), Sanders; Virginia (San Francisco, CA), Zhang; Yong-Kang (San Jose, CA)|
|Assignee:||Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Palo Alto, CA)|
1. A method of treating an infection in an animal, said method comprising administering to the animal a therapeutically effective amount of
1,3-dihydro-5-fluoro-1-hydroxy-2,1-benzoxaborole, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, sufficient to treat said infection.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said infection is a member selected from a systemic infection, a cutaneous infection, and an ungual or periungual infection.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein said infection is a member selected from chloronychia, paronychias, erysipeloid, onychorrhexis, gonorrhea, swimming-pool granuloma, larva migrans, leprosy, Orf nodule, milkers' nodules, herpetic whitlow, acute bacterial perionyxis, chronic perionyxis, sporotrichosis, syphilis, tuberculosis verrucosa cutis, tularemia, tungiasis, peri- and subungual warts, zona, nail dystrophy (trachyonychia), dermatological diseases, psoriasis, pustular psoriasis, alopecia aerata, parakeratosis pustulosa, contact dermatosis, Reiter's syndrome, psoriasiform acral dermatitis, lichen planus, idiopathy atrophy in the nails, lichin nitidus, lichen striatus, inflammatory linear verrucous epidermal naevus (ILVEN), alopecia, pemphigus, bullous pemphigoid, acquired epidermolysis bullosa, Darier's disease, pityriasis rubra pilaris, palmoplantar keratoderma, contact eczema, polymorphic erythema, scabies, Bazex syndrome, systemic scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, chronic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositus, Sporotrichosis, Mycotic keratitis, Extension oculomycosis, Endogenous oculomycosis, Lobomycosis, Mycetoma, Piedra, Pityriasis versicolor, Tinea corporis, Tinea cruris, Tinea pedis, Tinea barbae, Tinea capitis, Tinea nigra, Otomycosis, Tinea favosa, Chromomycosis, and Tinea Imbricata.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein said infection is onychomycosis.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said animal is a member selected from a human, cattle, goat, pig, sheep, horse, cow, bull, dog, guinea pig, gerbil, rabbit, cat, chicken and turkey.
6. The method of claim 4, wherein said onychomycosis is tinea unguium.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein said animal is a human.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the administering is at a site which is a member selected from the skin, nail, hair, hoof and claw.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein said skin is the skin surrounding the nail, hair, hoof or claw.
10. The method of claim 1, wherein said infection is a fungal infection.
11. A method of treating onychomycosis in a human, said method comprising administering to the human a therapeutically effective amount of 1,3-dihydro-5-fluoro-1-hydroxy-2,1-benzoxaborole, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, sufficient to treat said onychomycosis.
12. A method of inhibiting the growth of a fungus in a human, said method comprising administering to the human a therapeutically effective amount of 1,3-dihydro-5-fluoro-1-hydroxy-2,1-benzoxaborole, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.