Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
|Title:||Benzothiophenes, formulations containing same, and methods|
|Abstract:||This invention provides compounds of formula I ##STR1## and pharmaceutically acceptable salts and solvates thereof, characterized that the compound is in particulate form and having a specific size range. The present invention further provides pharmaceutical compositions containing or formulated using compounds of formula I, and the use of such compounds for alleviating human pathologies, including osteoporosis, serum lipid lowering, and breast cancer.|
|Inventor(s):||Arbuthnot; Gordon Nelson (Indianapolis, IN), Dalder; Brian Weston (West Lafayette, IN), Hartauer; Kerry John (Indianapolis, IN), Luke; Wayne Douglas (West Lafayette, IN), Stratford, Jr.; Robert Eugene (Carmel, IN)|
|Assignee:||Eli Lilly and Company (Indianapolis, IN)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising: a) 60 mg of 6-hydroxy-2-(4-hydroxy-phenyl)-3-[4-(2-piperidinoethoxy)benzoyl]benzo[b]th iophene hydrochloride, characterized in that the
benzo[b]thiophene compound is in particulate form, said particles having a mean particle size of less than about 25 microns, at least about 90% of said particles have a size of less than about 50 microns; b) a surfactant; and c) a water-soluble
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein said benzothiophene is crystalline and wherein said particles have a mean particle size of between about 5 and about 25 microns.
3. The composition of claim 2 wherein said particles have a mean particle size of between about 5 and about 20 microns and at least 90% of said particles have a size of less than about 35 microns.
4. The composition of claim 2 wherein the surfactant is polysorbate 80.
5. The composition of claim 2 wherein the water-soluble diluent comprises lactose.
6. The composition of claim 2 further comprising a hydrophilic binder.
7. The composition of claim 6, wherein the hydrophilic binder is polyvinylpyrrolidone.
8. The composition of claim 2 further comprising a lubricant.
9. The composition of claim 8, wherein the lubricant comprises at least one of magnesium stearate and stearic acid.
10. The composition of claim 2 comprising polyvinylpyrrolidone, polysorbate 80, lactose, cross-linked polyvinylpyrrolidone, and magnesium stearate.
11. The composition of claim 2 further comprising a film coating.
12. A method for preventing postmenopausal osteoporosis comprising prophylactically administering the composition of claim 2 to a postmenopausal woman in need thereof.