Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for treating cancer using camptothecin derivatives and 5-fluorouracil|
|Abstract:||A combination therapy for treating cancer including administering at least one camptothecin derivative in conjunction with another anticancer agent. The combination therapy is preferably used as a first-line therapy for treating metastatic colorectal cancer and preferably involves administration of a combination of CPT-11, 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid, according to specific infusional treatment schedules which show therapeutic synergy in the treatment of cancer.|
|Inventor(s):||Achterrath; Wolf R. (Dectzenbach, DE)|
|Assignee:||Aventis Pharma S.A. (Antony Cedex, FR)|
1. A method for treating cancer comprising administration of a combination of at least one camptothecin derivative, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and folinic acid to a host in need
thereof in an amount and in a schedule of administration that is therapeutically synergistic in the treatment of said cancer.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the administration of the combination is by infusion.
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein said schedule comprises a cycle of: administering FA 500 mg/m.sup.2 i.v. over 2 hours followed by the administration of 5-FU (from 2300 to 2600 mg/m.sup.2) i.v. and 80 mg/m.sup.2 of CPT-11 over 24 hours, once a week for 6 weeks, followed by a one week rest; and repeating said cycle until a progression or an unacceptable toxicity is observed.
4. The method according to claim 3, wherein said method is a first-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer.
5. The method according to claim 1, wherein said schedule comprises administering a two-week cycle wherein: 200 mg/m.sup.2 of folinic acid is administered i.v. over two hours on days one and two of said two-week cycle, 400 mg/m.sup.2 of 5-FU is administered by i,v, bolus on day one of said two-week cycle and 600 mg/m.sup.2 of said 5-FU is administered i.v. over 22 hours on day one of said two-week cycle, and 180 mg/m.sup.2 of CPT-11 is administered i.v. on day one of said two week cycle; and said two-week cycle is repeated until a progression or an unacceptable toxicity is observed.
6. The method according to claim 5, wherein said method is a first-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer.
7. The method according to claim 1, wherein said at least one camptothecin derivative is administered orally at the dose of from about 60 to 70 mg/m.sup.2 daily for five consecutive days, said schedule of CPT-11 administration being reproduced every three weeks.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.