DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,239,180
|Title:||Transdermal therapeutic device and method with capsaicin and capsaicin analogs|
|Abstract:||Transdermal application of capsaicin (or a capsaicin analog) in a concentration from greater than about 5% to about 10% by weight has been discovered to be an extremely effective therapy for treating neuropathic pain, so long as an anesthetic, preferably by means of a transdermal patch, is administered initially to the affected area to minimize the expected side effects from subsequent capsaicin application.|
|Inventor(s):||Robbins; Wendye R. (San Mateo, CA)|
|Assignee:||The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA)|
1. A device for treatment of neuropathic pain in a human patient, said device comprising:
a skin-adherent patch, the patch including a reservoir comprising a therapeutic formulation whereby said formulation is continuously provided to the surface of skin for a predetermined period of time, wherein said formulation comprises capsaicin or a capsaicin analog in a total concentration from greater than about 5% to 10% by weight of the formulation, wherein a single administration of said patch affords significant relief of said neuropathic pain to said human patient for at least several weeks.
2. The device as in claim 1 wherein the formulation is therapeutically effective in treating neuropathic pain in a human patient when the area being treated has first been effectively anesthetized so as to block afferent nerve fibers.
3. The device as in claim 2 further comprising a second patch, the second patch capable of delivering an anesthetic in an amount effective to block afferent nerve fibers to the side effects of the capsaicin or capsaicin analog administered via the patch.
4. The device as in claim 1 wherein the total concentration of the capsaicin or capsaicin analog is about 7.5 weight percent to 10 weight percent.
5. The device as in claim 1, wherein said capsaicin or a capsaicin analog is capsaicin.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.