DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,150,337
|Title:||Specific modulation of Th1/Th2 cytokine expression by Ribavirin in activated T-lymphocytes|
|Abstract:||Ribavirin is employed in a manner which is effective to modulate lymphokine expression in activated T cells. In particular, Ribavirin is used to suppress Type 2-mediated T cell responses and promote Type 1-mediated T cell response. Thus, instead of administering Ribavirin in its well-recognized role as an anti-viral agent, Ribavirin is herein used in the treatment of imbalances in lymphokine expression. Such imbalances may be found to be concomitants of allergic atopic disorders such as allergic asthma and atopic dermatitis, helminth infection and leishmaniasis, and various primary and secondary immunodeficiencies, which may or may not also be associated with viral infection.|
|Inventor(s):||Tam; Robert (Costa Mesa, CA)|
|Assignee:||ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Costa Mesa, CA)|
1. A method of inversely modulating Type 1 and Type 2 responses of lymphocytes contained within an environment by adding ribavirin to the lymphocytes in a concentration which
increases the Type 1 response and suppresses the Type 2 response.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the Type 2 response was previously elevated by an antigen.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the Type 2 response was previously elevated by a helminth.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the Type 2 response was previously elevated by an antibody.
5. A method of inhibiting a virus by growing a virus in an environment having lymphocytes which produce Type 1 and Type 2 cytokine responses, and adding ribavirin to the environment in a concentration which increases the Type 1 response and suppresses the Type 2 response.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein a patient has a drug induced impairment of immune function.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.