Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method of reducing intestinal gas, cramping and anorectal irritation|
|Abstract:||Intestinal gas, cramping and/or anorectal irritation are treated by oral administration of an effective or sufficient amount of a composition comprising polyethylene glycol, preferably dispersed and/or dissolved in an aqueous medium. The PEG compositions used for the present invention are desirably substantially free of ancillary electrolytes.|
|Inventor(s):||Cleveland; Mark vB. (Duxbury, MA), Pelham; Russell W. (Duxbury, MA)|
|Assignee:||Braintree Laboratories, Inc. (Braintree, MA)|
1. A method of ameliorating symptoms relating to at least one of (a) intestinal gas, (b) cramping and (c) anorectal irritation, the method comprising the step of administering
an effective amount of a composition comprising polyethylene glycol.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition is substantially free of electrolytes.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the polyethylene glycol has an average molecular weight greater than 1000.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the polyethylene glycol has an average molecular weight ranging from 3000 to 8000.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein the polyethylene glycol is PEG 3350.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition comprises a dosage from about 5 to about 200 g of polyethylene glycol.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein the composition comprises from about 10 to about 30 g of polyethylene glycol per dose.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the polyethylene glycol is dispersed in an aqueous medium.
9. The method of claim 7 wherein the polyethylene glycol is in solid form.
10. The method of claim 8 wherein the composition is administered up to four times per day.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein the ameliorated symptom is intestinal gas.
12. The method of claim 1 wherein the ameliorated symptom is cramping.
13. The method of claim 1 wherein the ameliorated symptom is anorectal irritation.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.