DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,997,848
|Title:||Methods and compositions for pulmonary delivery of insulin|
|Abstract:||Systemic delivery of insulin to a mammalian host is accomplished by inhalation of a dry powder of insulin. It has been found that dry insulin powders are rapidly absorbed through the alveolar regions of the lungs.|
|Inventor(s):||Patton; John S. (San Carlos, CA), Foster; Linda (Sunnyvale, CA), Platz; Robert M. (Half Moon Bay, CA)|
|Assignee:||Inhale Therapeutic Systems (San Carlos, CA)|
1. A method for delivering insulin into blood circulation of a patient, said method comprising:
providing from 1 to 4 individual dry powder insulin dosages having from a total weight of from 0.5 mg to 15 mg of insulin;
dispersing each of the dry powder insulin doses individually into a gas stream to form dry insulin aerosols; and
inhaling each of the dry powder insulin aerosols into an alveolar region of the patient's lungs;
wherein the dry insulin powder dissolves in a fluid lining of the alveolar region of the lungs and is systemically absorbed into patient blood circulation.
2. A method as in claim 1, wherein the insulin is substantially free from penetration enhancers.
3. A method as in claim 1, wherein each dose contains from 0.5 mg to 10 mg of insulin.
4. A method as in claim 3, wherein the powder carrier comprises a carbohydrate, organic salt, amino acid, peptide, or protein.
5. A method as in claim 1, wherein the insulin dry powder comprises particles having an average size below 10 .mu.m.
6. A method as in claim 1, wherein the dry powder comprises individual particles including both insulin and a carrier material.
7. A method as in claim 1, wherein the insulin is present in the individual particles at from 5% to 99% by weight.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.