DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,589,180
|Title:||Method for treating nerve injury pain associated with shingles (herpes-zoster and post-herpetic neuralgia) by topical application of lidocaine|
|Abstract:||Methods and compositions are offered for reducing nerve injury pain associated with shingles (herpes-zoster and post-herpetic neuralgia), where intradermal delivery of lidocaine is maintained for a predetermined period of time. The lidocaine appears to specifically affect the damaged nerve fibers, while leaving the undamaged and normal nerve fibers with retention of response to other stimuli. Lidocaine formulations are provided which allow for the necessary dosage of the lidocaine in the dermis during the period of treatment. The formulation may be covered with an occlusive or non-occlusive dressing, which protects the lidocaine formulation from mechanical removal and enhances the transport of the lidocaine into the dermis. Long term relief is realized after maintenance of the administration of lidocaine has been terminated.|
|Inventor(s):||Hind; Harry (Los Altos, CA)|
|Assignee:||Hind Health Care, Inc. (Los Altos, CA)|
1. A plaster composition for treatment of pain from herpes zoster or post-herpetic neuralgia comprising:
a physiologically acceptable adhesive comprising 2-10% by weight lidocaine at least in part as the free base;
at least one of propylene glycol and glycerin as a co-solvent; and a covering.
2. The plaster according to claim 1, wherein said co-solvent further comprises at least one of D-sorbitol and water.
3. The plaster according to claim 3, wherein said covering is selected from the group consisting of polyvinyl chloride, polyvinylidene chloride, polyethylene, synthetic rubber, woven polyester fabric and non-woven polyester fabric.
4. The plaster according to claim 3, wherein said cosolvent further comprises at least one of D-sorbitol and water.
5. A plaster composition for treatment of pain from herpes zoster or post-herpetic neuralgia comprising:
a physiologically acceptable adhesive comprising lidocaine, water glycerin, sodium polyacrylate and propylene glycol, wherein said lidocaine comprises 5% by weight of said adhesive; and
a non-woven polyester covering.
6. The plaster according to claim 5, wherein said adhesive further comprises sodium carboxymethylcellulose.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.