Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Substituted alkanediphosphonic acids and pharmaceutical use|
|Abstract:||Alkanediphosphonic acids, in particular heteroarylalkanediphosphonic acids of formula ##STR1## wherein R.sub.1 is a 5-membered heteroaryl radical which may be fused with benzene or cyclohexene nuclei and which contains, as hetero atoms, 2 to 4 N-atoms or 1 or 2 N-atoms as well as 1 O- or S-atom, and which is unsubstituted or C-substituted by lower alkyl, phenyl or phenyl which is substituted by lower alkyl, lower alkoxy and/or halogen, or by lower alkoxy, hydroxy, di-lower alkylamino, lower alkylthio and/or halogen, and/or is N-substituted at a N-atom which is capable of substitution by lower alkyl, lower alkoxy and/or halogen, and R.sub.2 is hydrogen, hydroxy, amino, lower alkylthio or halogen, and salts thereof, have regulatory action on calcium metabolism and can be used as medicaments for the treatment of diseases associated with impairment of calcium metabolism. The compounds are obtained for example by converting, in a compound of formula ##STR2## wherein X.sub.1 is a functionally modified phosphono group and X.sub.2 is a free or functionally modified phosphono group, X.sub.1 and, if appropriate X.sub.2, into the free phosphono group.|
|Inventor(s):||Jaeggi; Knut A. (Basel, CH), Widler; Leo (Muchenstein, CH)|
|Assignee:||Ciba-Geigy Corporation (Ardsley, NY)|
1. A heteroarylalkanediphosphonic acid of the formula ##STR9## wherein R.sub.1 denotes an 1-imidazolyl or 2-(1-methyl)imidazolyl radical and R.sub.2 represents hydroxy, or a
2. A compound as claimed in claim 1 being 2-(imidazol-1-yl)-1-hydroxy-ethane-1,1-diphosphonic acid or a salt thereof.
3. A compound as claimed in claim 1 being 2-(1-methylimidazol-2-yl)-1-hydroxyethane-1,1-diphosphonic acid or a salt thereof.
4. A pharmaceutical composition for the treatment or prophylaxis of diseases associated with impaired calcium metabolism, containing a therapeutically effective amount of a compound claimed in claim 1 in the free form or in a pharmaceutically acceptable salt form, together with conventional pharmaceutical carriers.
5. A method of treating diseases associated with impaired calcium metabolism which comprises administering a therapeutically effective amount of a compound claimed in claim 1 in the free form or in a pharmaceutically acceptable salt form to a warm-blooded animal in need thereof.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.