DrugPatentWatch Database Preview» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,893,995
|Title:||Systems and methods for processing cells|
|Abstract:||The present invention efficiently and cost-effectively extracts and collects cells from a tissue. The inventors have discovered that the tissue can be effectively fragmented and the resulting cells can be purified using a system or kit with multiple components. An advantage of the present invention is that tissue processing takes place in a closed system such that sterility can be maintained throughout the process, even if certain components are removed during processing, for example through the use of valves, clamps, and heat seals. Furthermore, any or all of the steps can be automated or manually accomplished, according to the specific needs of the application or the user.|
|Inventor(s):||Taghizadeh; Rouzbeh R. (Cambridge, MA), Meade; John (Mendon, MA)|
|Assignee:||Auxocell Laboratories, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A method of mincing a tissue sample positioned between a solid member and a cutting surface of a tissue mincing tool, the method comprising: pressing the tissue sample,
via the solid member, into contact with and through the cutting surface of the tissue mincing tool, the tissue sample comprising Wharton's Jelly stem cells, and the tissue mincing tool comprising: a compartment for the tissue sample; the solid member
moveable within the compartment; the cutting surface at one end of the compartment; and a sterile, sealed container, wherein the cutting surface separates the compartment from the sterile, sealed container, such that the tissue sample that passes
through the cutting surface is deposited as a viscous minced tissue within the sterile, sealed container.
2. A method of digesting a tissue sample, the method comprising: mincing the tissue sample according to the method of claim 1 and, optionally, transferring the minced tissue to a second sterile, sealed container; and injecting an enzyme, whereby the enzyme digests the minced tissue.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the enzyme is a collagenase.
4. A method of separating cells from a tissue sample, the method comprising: digesting the tissue sample according to the method of claim 2; and removing undigested tissue.
5. The method of claim 4, further comprising diluting the tissue sample, wherein the undigested tissue is subsequently removed by filtering.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the cutting surface is dimensioned to mince the tissue sample into fragments having an average cross-section no greater than four square millimeters.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the cutting surface is dimensioned to mince the tissue sample into fragments, and the tissue mincing tool further comprises a second cutting surface for reducing an average cross-section of the fragments.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue mincing tool further comprises at least one mincer screen positioned in proximity to the cutting surface.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein the at least one mincer screen is moveable towards the tissue sample.
10. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue mincing tool further comprises a suction cup for stabilizing the tissue mincing tool during operation thereof.
11. The method of claim 1, wherein the sterile, sealed container comprises at least one sealed access port permitting the sterile introduction of a fluid into the container.
12. The method of claim 1, wherein an interior surface of the compartment is threaded.
13. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue mincing tool further comprises a gasket for sealing the compartment.
14. The method of claim 1, wherein a portion of the compartment near its end has a substantially constant cross-section.
15. The method of claim 14, wherein the solid member is shaped to mate with and to fill the portion of the compartment.
16. The method of claim 1, wherein the cutting surface is rotatable.
17. The method of claim 1, wherein the cutting surface is moveable towards the tissue sample.
18. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue mincing tool further comprises a shaft crank for moving the cutting surface towards the tissue sample.
19. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue sample is gelatinous.
20. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue sample comprises umbilical cord tissue.
21. The method of claim 1, wherein the tissue mincing tool comprises a series of cutting surfaces at the one end of the compartment.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Number||Approval Date||Patent No.||Assignee||Estimated Patent Expiration||Status||Orphan||Source|
|Smith And Nephew||SANTYL||collagenase||OINTMENT;TOPICAL||101995||001||1965-06-04||Start Trial||Auxocell Laboratories, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)||2031-11-08||RX||search|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Number||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Assignee||>Estimated Patent Expiration||>Status||>Orphan||>Source|
|Country||Patent Number||Estimated Expiration|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2013070899||Start Trial|
|United States of America||2013295673||Start Trial|
|United States of America||2015079672||Start Trial|
|United States of America||2015079679||Start Trial|
|United States of America||2015132851||Start Trial|
|United States of America||2016083691||Start Trial|
|>Country||>Patent Number||>Estimated Expiration|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.