DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Try a free trial
See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,343,929
|Title:||Treating neoplasms with neurotoxin|
|Abstract:||The present invention provides a method of treating a neoplasm using a neurotoxin, preferably botulinum toxin. Neurotoxin administered around a neoplasm acts to decrease the contractile forces of the muscles surrounding a neoplasm which normally squeeze neoplastic cells through efferent channels leaving the neoplasm to distant sites. The present invention also provides a method of administering botulinum toxin at sites distant from the neoplasm, thereby enhancing cellular and humoral immunologic functions, which further contribute to neoplastic cell death. Following administration of botulinum toxin around or distant to a neoplasm as described herein, local, regional, and distant spread of neoplastic cells is reduced or eliminated. Immunomodulation with botulinum toxin is also valuable in treating other diseases that may or may not be associated with cancers, such as viral-induced growths, viral conditions, fungal disease, chronic wounds, graft versus host disease, autoimmune disease, and HIV.|
|Inventor(s):||Shaari; Christopher (Demarest, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Toxcure, Inc. (Demarest, NJ)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A method of weakening or paralyzing the muscle fibers surrounding a neoplasm in a patient, comprising applying to the non-cancerous area around said neoplasm a
therapeutically effective amount of botulinum toxin in combination with an anti-cancer drug or anti-cancer therapy, such that the therapeutically effective amount of the botulinum toxin reduces the spread of cells from the neoplasm, thereby inhibiting
the growth or metastases of the neoplasm.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the botulinum toxin is administered before the anti-cancer drug or anti-cancer therapy is administered.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the botulinum toxinneurotoxin is administered together with the anti-cancer drug or anti-cancer therapy.
4. The method of claim 2 or claim 3, wherein the anti-cancer drug is selected from the group consisting of: an alkylating agent, an antimetabolite, an anthracycline, mitoxantrone, topoisomerase, a mitotic inhibitor, a steroid, a differentiation agent, a hormone, and an immunotherapy agent.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein the mitotic inhibitor is selected from the group consisting of a taxane, an epothilone, and a vinca alkaloid.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the taxane is paclitaxel or docetaxel.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the taxane is paclitaxel.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the botulinum toxin denervates muscle tissue surrounding the neoplasm.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the botulinum toxin is botulinum toxin type A or botulinum toxin type B.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Number||Approval Date||Patent No.||Assignee||Estimated Patent Expiration||Status||Orphan||Source|
|Elan Pharm||MYOBLOC||botulinum toxin type b||VIAL||103846||001||2000-12-08||Try a Free Trial||Toxcure, Inc. (Demarest, NJ)||2024-09-23||RX||search|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Number||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Assignee||>Estimated Patent Expiration||>Status||>Orphan||>Source|
|Country||Patent Number||Publication Date|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2006034404||Aug 10, 2006|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2006034404||Mar 30, 2006|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2010062955||Jun 03, 2010|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2011066316||Jun 03, 2011|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2011066316||Sep 15, 2011|
|United States of America||2009028972||Jan 29, 2009|
|>Country||>Patent Number||>Publication Date|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.