DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Join the DrugPatentWatch Referral Program Get access to a free drug patent landscape report or a free one-month subscription
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 10,307,579
|Title:||Therapeutic agent preparations for delivery into a lumen of the intestinal tract using a swallowable drug delivery device|
|Abstract:||Embodiments of the invention provide swallowable devices, preparations and methods for delivering drugs and other therapeutic agents within the GI tract. Many embodiments provide a swallowable device for delivering the agents. Particular embodiments provide a swallowable device such as a capsule for delivering drugs into the intestinal wall or other GI lumen. Embodiments also provide various drug preparations that are configured to be contained within the capsule, advanced from the capsule into the intestinal wall and degrade to release the drug into the bloodstream to produce a therapeutic effect. The preparation can be operably coupled to delivery means having a first configuration where the preparation is contained in the capsule and a second configuration where the preparation is advanced out of the capsule into the intestinal wall. Embodiments of the invention are particularly useful for the delivery of drugs which are poorly absorbed, tolerated and/or degraded within the GI tract.|
|Inventor(s):||Imran; Mir (Los Altos Hills, CA)|
|Assignee:||Rani Therapeutics, LLC (San Jose, CA)|
|Patent Claims:||1. A method for delivering a natalizumab preparation into the wall of the small intestine, the method comprising: swallowing a drug delivery device comprising a capsule, an
actuator having a first configuration and a second configuration and the natalizumab preparation operably coupled to the actuator, the natalizumab preparation comprising a therapeutically effective dose of a natalizumab and being shaped as a solid tissue
penetrating member, the preparation being contained within the capsule in the first configuration and advanced out of the capsule to penetrate into the intestinal wall in the second configuration; and actuating the actuator responsive to a condition in
the small intestine to penetrate and insert the natalizumab preparation shaped as a solid tissue penetrating member into the wall of the small intestine.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the condition is a selected pH.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the pH is above about 7.1.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein a weight percent of natalizumab in the natalizumab preparation is in a range between about 8 to 12%.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein a dose of natalizumab in the natalizumab preparation is in a range from about 1 to 5 mg.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the dose of natalizumab in the natalizumab preparation is about 2-4 mg.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the dose of natalizumab in the natalizumab preparation is about 3 mg.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the natalizumab preparation comprises at least one pharmaceutical excipient.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein the at least one pharmaceutical excipient comprises at least one of a binder, a preservative or a disintegrant.
10. The method of claim 1, further comprising retaining the natalizumab preparation within the intestinal wall after insertion.
11. The method of claim 10, wherein retaining comprises anchoring a portion of the natalizumab preparation in intestinal wall tissue.
12. The method of claim 1, wherein delivering the natalizumab preparation comprises applying a force to the natalizumab preparation.
13. The method of claim 12, wherein the natalizumab preparation is advanced completely into the intestinal wall by such application of force.
14. The method of claim 12, wherein the natalizumab preparation is advanced through the intestinal wall by such application of force.
15. The method of claim 14, wherein the force is a mechanical force applied to a surface of the natalizumab preparation.
16. The method of claim 1, wherein the natalizumab preparation produces a long term release of natalizumab up to about 40 days.
17. The method of claim 1, further comprising: using the dose of delivered natalizumab to treat an autoimmune disease.
18. The method of claim 17, wherein the autoimmune disease is multiple sclerosis.
19. The method of claim 17, wherein the autoimmune disease is Crohn's disease.
|Applicant||Tradename||Biologic Ingredient||Dosage Form||BLA||Number||Approval Date||Patent No.||Assignee||Estimated Patent Expiration||Status||Orphan||Source|
|Biogen Idec||TYSABRI||natalizumab||VIAL; SINGLE-USE||125104||001||2004-11-23||Start Trial||Rani Therapeutics, LLC (San Jose, CA)||2030-12-23||RX||search|
|>Applicant||>Tradename||>Biologic Ingredient||>Dosage Form||>BLA||>Number||>Approval Date||>Patent No.||>Assignee||>Estimated Patent Expiration||>Status||>Orphan||>Source|
|Country||Patent Number||Publication Date|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2011079302||Jun 30, 2011|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2011079302||Nov 17, 2011|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2011112229||Nov 24, 2011|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2011112229||Sep 15, 2011|
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||2013003487||Jan 03, 2013|
|>Country||>Patent Number||>Publication Date|
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.